Tuesday, October 27, 2009

42.3%

I met an "interesting" young lady at work today. She works at the same place but for a different company. I had gotten to work a little early today and she had said hello to me a few times but today she decided to stop and speak for a lil bit. We got to talkin about the usual, hometowns, how long you been in atlantas, whoopty whoop...She tells me about her education aspirations and how she wants to go back to get her masters...I tell her about my law school ambitions. After a lil while she pauses for a second and says, "You're rare." I asked her how so, and she said she was referring to me being young, educated, with a job, and being a black man with no kids made me somewhat of a rarity. She went on to say she had cousins and friends that were looking for a man...I didn't respond. Frankly, I didn't know what to say to that...

I've heard many times about how hard it is for black women to find men that are "on their level". What is perplexing to me is how women are the main ones that are propagating this idea. From conducting studies to show it, to making movies regarding it, I fail to understand why women so openly indulge in what seems to be (to me) negative thinking. I know single black men that have jobs, cars, and cribs and they will say that it's hard to find a "good woman".

I'm a believer that it's all a matter of perception. I think if you get what you attract. I have (so far) always found myself attracting those type of women that most men would consider "wifey material". I don't have any kind of special game I kick, nor do I pay much attention to hanging out with the "right" kind of crowds. I just seem to attract "good" women. I would like to believe it is because I'm a "good" man (most of the time). That is not to say that if you haven't met a "good" man/woman, there is something wrong with you, it could just be that it isn't in God's plan for you to have found your SO yet. But I do believe that there are many more "good" people on this Earth than society would like to acknowledge, and if you've lived all of your life and haven't met a "good" SO...then...

No comments: