Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Self Awareness



I purchased this book from the store yesterday because this book covers a topic that I know that I want to gain more knowledge of; emotional intelligence. It offers an "emotional intelligence appraisal" online and after taking it, I was told that the 2 areas that I really needed to concern myself with are self awareness and social awareness. I readily agreed that I needed to work on my self awareness (what twenty something doesn't?) but was kind of surprised at the conclusion about my social awareness. Either way, I have decided to work on my self awareness first and the book has given me strategies that I can use to develop my self awareness. I must say, in reading the chapter on self awareness, I am noticing myself already reexamine situations, some recently even, and note how I could have handled them better. Case in point, I'm one of those people that tend to feel some anger when someone disagrees with me. As much as I try to manage it internally, I know that the people I am disagreeing with sense my resentment towards them. I need to do a better job of recognizing that anger when it first builds in order to better manage that emotion. Also, today at work, I became frustrated at one of my coworkers and disrespected him in front of some other coworkers. That is never acceptable and I could tell that it hurt his feelings but at the time I didn't care. I need to be a man and apologize to him tomorrow and have some constructive conversation so it doesn't turn into a festering problem within the team. Plus, for the most part I'm a nice guy, just sometimes that a$$hole can come out.

I'll blog in the future about how my self development is going. Honestly, just taking the time out to examine my feelings and my reactions to them is a great improvement in itself. Already going in the right direction!

No comments: