Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Boyfriend Material

Went out on a "date" last night. One thing I realized (I knew this before I went on the date, but this confirmed it) I am in no way at this point in my life boyfriend material. I mean from the outside looking in I may be, young, single, handsome, ambitious (got a job), but I don't feel like having a girlfriend AT ALL at this point. I'm at a very selfish point in my life. I don't feel like asking a woman all about herself, when I don't really care. I don't feel like pretending to be interested in what another person thinks. I don't feel like going to someplace or doing something that I don't really feel like doing to make someone else feel better. I don't feel like trying to impress anyone. I really just feel like doing what I want to do when I want to do it, and am currently very ok with operating that way right now. As for the date:

We went to the movies (to see Precious, which I wanted to see). I bought the tickets and the food at the concession stand (note: I paused after the cashier told me how much the food was to see if she would offer to pay for it. She didn't). She also kept trying to talk to me throughout the movie (which irritates the sh*t outta me). This girl has a habit of talking about herself waaaay too much. Everything can be turned into a story about herself. Granted, I'm not known to be the most forthright with personal information about myself, but at least if I'm going to listen to someone else talk all evening, I would hope that the person is engaging or entertaining on some level. You know one of those people who have the ability to draw you into their story? She's not one of them. After the movie, we went to the gas station where she said, "Pay or pump?" At that moment I realized how much I didn't want to be there. Now being a gentleman, I pumped the gas, but I really didn't want to.

Now understand, my momma raised me right. I know how to be a gentleman and most women who have met me would describe me as such. I just realized last night, how much I secretly enjoyed not having to worry about things like being thoughtful.


Now that I think about it, it may just be that I don't like the girl that I went on a "date" with that much. Because I don't. I'm gonna have to tell her that too before this gets outta hand.

2 comments:

Robyn Latice said...

Yea, Maybe it's just the girl. I hear guys say they arent boyfriend material all the time...isn't boyfriend material up to the female? What does boy friend material even mean?

E said...

@Robyn

I don't think "boyfriend material" is necessarily up to the female. Is "wifey type" up to the male? I think I can, through my conversations with various women, ascertain what they mean when they say a man is "boyfriend material" and judge whether or not I fit that stereotype.

When I refer to "boyfriend material" I'm referring to they typical characteristics that most women look for in a future husband or so. The so called "nice guys".