Sunday, August 9, 2009

Purpose and Duty

I keep thinking about this law school thing. I really need to get on my recommendations and personal statement, but for some reason I keep procrastinating. I don't know if it's laziness, fear, I'm handling other business, but I really feel like I need to place it at the top of my priority list. You know how when you know the right thing to do, but for some reason you avoid doing it, and it always lingers with you, and you go through periods where your mind can quarantine that idea, but sometimes the idea gets loose in your head an infects all of your thinking for that time? If not, just rock wit me here. That's how I feel about law school. I feel like God is giving me signs that I need to get more proactive about it. I just happened to read an op-ed in the Sunday paper, where someone makes the argument that affirmative action has been all but destroyed by the recent Supreme Court decision regarding the white Hartford, CT firefighters who sued the city over what they called "reverse-discrimination". I won't go into details regarding the whole article, but in it, the author notes that Blacks and Hispanics make up only between 4 and 6 percent of all the lawyers in the US. I did a little research on his statistic, and according the most recent census survey on the matter (in 2004), blacks make up only 4.4% (58,000) of US lawyers. To add more insult to injury, I calculated what percentage that was of the African American population in the US (39.7 million) and that comes out to a whopping 0.1% of the US African American population are lawyers.

As I told you before, George Washington Carver passed up a potentially illustrious career in the arts to pursue a graduate degree out of a sense of duty he felt to his people to use the intellect he was blessed with to bless others. I feel like if I were to allow this opportunity to go by, I would be letting down far too many people. I would be letting myself down. It would be a shame for me not to make use of my God-given gifts.

The decision has already been made, I will be enrolling somewhere in Fall 2010...I'm just...well...blogging about the journey is all...






Sidenote - I just turned my head to the tv and saw an outrageously gay dance team on America's Best Dance Crew. And one of those dudes looks like a chick...Am I really seeing this?

No comments: