Thursday, September 10, 2009

Obama & Health Care

Watched Obama's address to health care on Obama and was, as usual, hopeful after another of Obama's "preacher-esque" speeches. I agree that universal health care is a moral issue, not a political one. How we treat the least of us says a lot about the best of us. I do not call myself democrat or republican, but do tend to vote for the democratic candidate simply out of my "lesser of two evils" logic. While I do agree with the Republican ethos of financial conservatism, I do note how they, like most politicians, choose to assert these "core beliefs" when it suits them best. Obama properly noted that it was Republican policies that gave the nation a trillion dollar deficit, and find it extremely hypocritical that their main criticism is how much universal health care would cost. Indeed, the progressive in me says that no one should have to pay for health care. Why even toy with the idea of a public option? If I could choose to get government subsidized health care at a cheaper cost than private, what halfway intelligent consumer wouldn't choose the public option? The fact that the US is the only advanced nation without a universal health care system doesn't suggest that Americans are smarter than everyone else. It just means that we are behind. Honestly, I don't believe Obama when he says he can pass this health care reform without adding any money to the deficit, but I will say that it shouldn't matter. Some things are so much more important than the national deficit. Shouldn't the right to see a doctor if you're sick or injured be one of those things?

Sidenote: Hopped on the scale today and say 185.4. Doing it without losing any strength on my bench press. I recently started a routine of 300 bicycles in the morning and 300 more at night before bed. I'm a little tipsy because I had a couple drinks to celebrate my man's b-day at the studio tonite. I'm bout to go do my 300 now. You can call that discipline ladies and gents .

No comments: