Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Throwing Stones From A Glass House

I like quotes. I meditate on them in my daily life. There are many quotes and proverbs that we all pass down and around that seemingly contradict themselves. One of those examples is "Don't throw stones from a glass house." This makes perfect sense right? Confucius also said, "Do not impose upon others what you do not desire for yourself." I tend to sum up these quotes with one word. Integrity. Integrity as a definition can be correlated to CONSISTENCY. Whether with words, actions, or outcomes, something with integrity is consistent in all of those aspects. Now another anecdote says, "You can learn a lot from a dummy." Also, makes sense. God veils the truth in many different packages, and just because the gift isn't in a color you would have chosen, doesn't make it any less the truth.

The problem I have is that I have is that much of my respect for an individual is directly related to my perception of their integrity. While I admit, that I currently am not an individual of the strictest integrity (something that I once was, and WILL return to being), I make an effort to avoid situations of "the pot calling the kettle black". I run into problems when I encounter individuals who seemingly have no qualms with this lack of integrity, dispensing wisdom with an underlying "do as I say, not as I do" philosophy. While I do my best to remember that that the truth is the truth, I find myself becoming increasingly irritated when I encounter these types of individuals. While I have decided that it isn't my job to tell people about themselves, I do struggle with my decision to "let go and let God". I guess this can best sum it up:

God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

Amen.

No comments: