Saturday, September 12, 2009

Obama: Too Cool?

First off, let me say that I am definitely a drinker of the Obama kool-aid. When this man gives a speech, don't talk to me, don't call me. I might be the biggest Obama supporter with no Obama paraphernalia (which will soon be rectified when I get my picture of him being sworn in blown up so I can put it on my wall). Anyways, in my opinion, this man can walk on water.

With all that said, I do have a certain bone to pick with my man. He is known as "Mr. Cool" but it's starting to seem like, and I think the leaders of the Republican Party might agree with me, that this guy is lacking some cojones. Yea I said it. I don't think Obama flexes hard enough on these misinformed, discreetly (and sometimes overtly) racist, disrespectful, and loud-mouthed pundits and peers. I don't think he's aggressive enough on healthcare. I think he should've went to Congress months ago. He should do more campaigning to the people about his plan and how he plans to pay for it. With all these Glenn Becks and Joe Wilsons twisting facts and spreading downright lies to galvanize their predominantly white, racist, uninformed base, I don't think Obama has taken enough steps to contend with them and thereby galvanize the 52.9% of the US population that voted for him. We can all concede that Obama delivers fantastic speeches, but it would seem to me that all these bi-partisan efforts of his are only polarizing the legislative branch more. And besides, who cares? The reason Bush was able to get so much of his policies enacted is because he maximized the fact that his party controlled both the House and the Senate. I think Republican elected officials, for the most part, have made it abundantly clear that they aren't going to support the President in any way, so why is he still pandering to them? It only makes him and his party look weak and emboldens Republicans (ie Joe Wilson) to push him further into the corner.

Teddy Roosevelt said "Speak softly and carry a big stick." President Obama speaks softly alright, but when are we going to see him start swinging the stick?

No comments: