Saturday, September 12, 2009

Remember 9/11

9/11 is a day we should never forget. Like "Where were you when Kennedy was shot?", "Where were you on 9/11?" will be the question people will ask 50 years from now. I remember when my roommate in college told me that a plane had hit a tower in NY. Like most people, I didn't believe him at first. I started asking around, checked online. Indeed one of the twin towers was down. Then I went through who I knew from NY. This was my freshman year, first semester, and me being from Cali, I didn't meet anyone from NY until college. I still hadn't at that point, but I knew a guy down the hall that said he had relatives in NY so I went to his room to see if they were alright. He hadn't been able to reach them he said. At school, on Tuesdays there was a required class called Crown Forum where the college would bring in some kind of speaker, most of the time it was an alumnus turned preacher who would speak to us regarding Jesus, hard work, pulling our pants up, etc. Well that day, we all went to Crown Forum wondering what was going to happen, how was the college going to respond. Oddly enough, the college didn't cancel classes, using the time-tested "show must go on" logic. I remember everyone being angry, and most of us didn't go to classes that day anyway. I remember going back to my room and watching CNN all day. I later learned that a guy that I was in class with my junior year, both of his parents were lost in the 9/11 attacks. I tried to imagine how he must feel every year, but I couldn't. Can anyone really imagine that kind of loss?

Remember 9/11 for what it was. The first and only foreign attack on US soil. An attack that forever changed America and her feeling of "it would never happen here". An attack that took the lives of almost 3,000 innocent people. And a n attack that has since cost American taxpayers almost 1 trillion dollars spent on wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. America has/will never be the same.

Take a moment.

No comments: