Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Just A Thought

I watched an episode of Intervention today. Intervention is a show on A&E where they show the trials and tribulations of (typically) white people who struggle with an addiction (alcohol, drugs, etc.) and at the end of the episode family and friends come together to have an intervention where they try to force the person to either go to rehab or face being cut off. Today's episode was about a girl named Danielle who was addicted to Percocet. Percocet is a painkiller that causes similar effects as heroin. Doctors say the most an adult should take is 4 a day, this chick was poppin 50. She also had 2 kids and a husband and wouldn't do anything around the house because she couldn't function without her pills and (obviously) couldn't function with them. She was also diagnosed with clinical depression which she says led to her addiction. Anyways, to make a long story short, she went through rehab and at the end of the 30 days they showed her husband picking her up at the airport. I was amazed at how she looked like a completely different person. She had an entirely different glow about herself and it came through the tv screen.

While I was watching this new Danielle, a thought struck me. She had undergone this massive transformation in only 90 days. This woman had gone from a drug addicted mother on the fast track to an almost certain early death to an active, smiling woman in only 90 days. I thought to myself if she can do that, what can I change about myself in 90 days? What can anyone change about themselves in 90 days? It seems like such a short period of time, but if Danielle and others like her on that show can go from addict to clean in 90 days, what can I do? Just a thought...

No comments: