Monday, July 6, 2009

Money, Power, Respect: The Key to Life?

I went to the fast food restaurant "The Five Guys" for the 1st time today. If it sounds familiar, it's the place President Obama took Brian Jennings to during his "Inside the Obama White House" special on NBC (or ABC) a little while ago. The burgers are OFFICIAL by the way and the whole vibe of the place is very reminiscent of "In N Out".

Anyways, while I was thinking about Obama and his trip to get burgers for everyone, I thought about the President of the US being the most powerful man in the world, but the most powerful man in the world only makes $200,000 per year (I say only purely in comparison to the salary you might expect one who wields that kind of power would make. In NO WAY am I implying that 200 stacks isn't a lot of money). Then I thought about Bill Gates, who is currently worth an estimated $40 billion dollars. Which one would you rather be, the most powerful man in the world (Obama) or the richest man in the world a la Bill Gates?

While my first thought was Obama, whose influence is felt by every person on the planet, I had to ultimately go with Mr. Gates. If you are one of those who ascribe to the theory that money is power (like moi) then $40 billion is a WHOLE LOTTA POWER. Now while Bill Gates doesn't have the power to draft new healthcare legislation, he does have the power to decide to offer universal healthcare to the entire eastern seaboard. Game. Set. Match. Mr. Gates. Your thoughts?

No comments: