Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Teacher?

I've always been a "treasure trove" of random facts and information. Very nerdish I know, but I've always soaked up random facts very quickly, whether it be from the zoobooks my mom would buy me as a kid, or I remember when I was in junior high, my mom would always buy cases of that diet snapple stuff and there was always random factoids under the bottlecap and I would make it my business to read and memorize every one (again VERY nerdish I know). Really, I've always had a gift for being able to read something, and store it in my long term memory fairly quickly.

Today, one of the homies asked me to start teaching "classes" to everyone on the team on various aspects of the music business, from music publishing to understanding basic artist contract language. It was not the first time someone asked me to do this, but I've always kind of avoided doing that because the idea of teaching makes me a little bit nervous. Not that I don't know the topic, but what if I say the wrong thing, or how would everyone feel about me being about 10 years younger than everyone else teaching them about the music business? They've all been in the business longer than me, so I get uncomfortable at the thought of teaching them something about the biz.

I decided that I'm going to go ahead with it and, as soon as I get finished with this blog, I'm going to figure out somewhat of a lesson plan for the "class". Again, as I've said before, this year is going to be the year of growth for me, and I've noticed that one thing that I've done a lot of in my life is garner a lot of information but never share it. And when I do happen to share it, it is usually in a unnecessarily condescending manner. Everyone I meet can quickly tell I'm smart, but there's a fine line between being smart and being a smart-ass.

I can never be someone I've never been if I don't do anything I've never done...so...class will be in session!

No comments: