Monday, July 6, 2009

Music: The Universal Language

Today I went with my mom to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. Now I usually pride myself on the diversity of my musical tastes, but they had an exhibit for Bruce Springsteen and I just couldn't get into it. Now I appreciate songs like "Born in the USA", but I won't go as far to say that I am a fan of "The Boss". And while I do appreciate the greatness of The Rolling Stones and The Beatles, I just wasn't too interested in different wardrobes Mick Jagger wore while on tour in 1872 (a joke people) or a piano John Lennon played on (God bless the dead). I was feeling a little "left out" until I came upon a small section dedicated to Hip-Hop's place in music history. While I understand that Hip-Hop as a culture is still very very new, I was happy to see something that was familiar. It was funny to see some Air Forces that Jay-Z wore in the 90's in a museum exhibit, but they guy is a living legend whether you wanna admit it or not. I think the best part of the museum was a movie you can watch that goes through all of the inductees in the HOF and plays excerpts of their music. I got goosebumps watching Woodstock footage of Joni Mitchell and watching 9 year old Michael sing his heart out in front of the Jackson 5. That movie reminded me of the power of music. It is a virtual timestamp. It can transport you to specific times and places with only a few notes. It took me on an emotional roller coaster, enjoying the timeless music of Jefferson Airplane, but also lamenting at the circumstances of their untimely deaths. The video reminded me why so many people want to be in the industry and why, even in the situation I am in, I feel blessed to be a small part of "the industry". I absolutely love love love music.

No comments: